Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The post before all others!

I decided I'd write this at the request of a friend and family member. I've been working as a home cleaning professional (or maid) for about three years now. Over those three years, my salary has risen from minimum wage working for Maid Brigade, a large franchise, to making upwards of $70,000 working as a sole proprietor. Although I'm not terribly open about what I do, that figure is always shocking and most people don't believe it.

Because there's an endless amount of houses and apartments to be cleaned, and certainly not enough cleaners for the task, I'll be sharing my day to day (or week to week) journey in this career path. Hopefully I'll be able to offer some help as far as using the internet to get new clients. With Twitter, Facebook, Google, Angie's List, Yelp, and so many other websites, there really is an endless amount of opportunity to be found. It would seem most people either don't know about this line of work or they're embarrassed to take such a job! Money is money though. And it's good exercise. :)

For what it's worth, the term maid is seen as derogatory in many places. In the United States, and Philadelphia specifically, it's a completely normal word that just means a home cleaner. I think because our hotels have used the word for so long in a positive way (making your room clean and fresh) any derogatory connotation has long since passed.

Speaking of hotels, I used to work for one! I started out working for the Marriott and eventually the Four Seasons. I wasn't only a cleaner though of course, but that's how I got started. I eventually got bored of it and wanted to take my skills elsewhere, which is, of course, how I got into cleaning others' homes for a living.

Oddly, home cleaning is probably one of the best jobs you could have at this pay grade. Not only do I work for myself and set my own hours, but the work itself is very satisfying. Almost everyone can relate to cleaning their own home and feeling great about it when finished. That same feeling applies to cleaning others' homes too. Over time you become friends with your clients as well and that's just icing on the cake. (Tips go up too!) I'm fairly certain I make more than some of my clients, which makes me laugh to think about.

The best part of cleaning though? The exercise! No one understands how hard cleaning 3 homes a day is until they try it. The first time I went out with my friend working for the franchise, I was whipped after the first couple of bathrooms in the FIRST HOUSE muchless three entire homes. But now I'm in amazing shape, I leave every job with a smile on my face and real money in my pocket, and my freedom is mine.

4 years ago, I'd never imagine I'd be lucky enough to find a job like this. It's never going anywhere, and there's plenty of room for others, so if you somehow randomly stumble across this post, take a chance and give it a shot! God knows there's enough demand, I turn down almost all new work being offered to me these days or pass it on to a friend. My regulars take up all my time.

I want to get around to posting a little about the best ways to get started next, and if I get a little break this next week I'll start putting together something for all ya'all!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment