Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A small rant about Yelp

This is something I forgot to add to my last post. A lot of business owners, some of them my clients, believe that when Yelp calls for advertising and you say no, they filter your positive reviews.

Personally, I've never had this happen. I've been called a few times. But it does seem a little weird when you start to look at evidence of it. Yelp basically has a filter system that their website automatically puts reviews it thinks are fake into. You can view the filtered reviews, but only by going to the bottom of the page and clicking a small gray link that's very hidden if you didn't otherwise know.

Luckily, I don't actually have any filtered reviews. What I have experienced though is clients threatening to leave me a bad reviews if I don't do a free cleaning. This kind of behavior is outrageous, and I can't understand why Yelp lets it occur - I've reported these individuals and their emails they sent to me but despite that Yelp lets them post lies on my page and doesn't even bother to reply to the evidence I submitted. I'm going to strongly consider posting the emails here because if nothing else, it's funny (or at least it's funny after you sleep the anger off). I'm going to pass for now as I don't know if it's legal to do so..

So advertising scams or not, they definitely don't take care of non-paying businesses very well. By far most clients are a joy to work with and I love every one of my regulars, but we all know how some people are, and it would seem Yelp has given some of the crazies a ground to romp free on businesses that won't do as they demand, which is a shame. But life isn't always fair, and you just have to roll along with it. Most of us learned that long before Yelp though.

In the Hotels I worked for we constantly had to take classes on not only how to clean rooms perfectly, but how to treat clients respectfully no matter what, and why that matters and how it affects the business, etc. I've taken a lot of this so-called customer service experience with me, and I think it's worked to my benefit with Yelp, despite their filter system and ignoring of emails. There's probably a point in there somewhere.

If you have your own Yelp stories please do share them with me, I'd love to hear. Maybe I can prepare better or learn something about the site I don't know!

Until next time.

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment